Monday, April 9, 2012

My son's first 5k!

Yes, you read that right.  My 4-year-old ran a 5k.  Yes, he ran it...the entire way! He finished in under 30 mins and if you consider the steps of a toddler, that's pretty stinking impressive if you ask me.  We ran the 5k as a family, it was through a park with some fierce hills.  By the end, my son was motivating me to finish.  I have never felt sooo much pride in my child than I did when he crossed that finish line.  I nearly cried.  The 5k we chose was the Miracle Miles for Madeline.  Maddie was the daughter of a photography client turned friend of mine.  She became ill a few months ago and after a brief battle, moved on to be with the other angels in heaven.  Being so young, it was a terrible tragedy.  But the family has managed to be so strong and kept so positive through it all.  They had a fund raiser several months back to support a foundation in their daughter's name.  The place was standing room only, people were literally lined out the door trying to get in.  When I heard of a 5k they were planning to host, I didn't hesitate to sign up the whole family.  I assumed we would walk it as a family.  My husband had other plans.  He began taking the boy out for a run every day for 2 weeks, taking him further and further to prep him for the marathon he was going to run!  And run it he did!  I was so proud of him, but tried not to lose focus on the meaning of that day.  I know little Maddie was there, watching over everyone, pushing them a little further and a little faster, cheering us all on.  She was certainly there with our family...bringing us a little closer and putting a huge smile on all our faces.  I am so glad we got to be a part of that experience and can't wait to do it again next year.  I also can't wait to run another 5k as a family...I'm thinking a color run next!


No comments:

Post a Comment