Wednesday, January 26, 2011

What's with that name??

I am an old fashioned southern gal, with the mindset of a 50's something housewife.  I bake, clean, take care of my husband, child and home.  Let me point out that by no means am I pushing an anti-feminism ideology on anyone, this is just what works for me.  But back to my point, when my husband and I were first married, I still had those "my husband wears a uniform" stars in my eyes (which by the way I still get those butterflies in my tummy when he puts on the full battle rattle). So everything in my home had somehow been touched by Uncle Sam's decorator.  If it wasn't red, white, and blue, it was covered in camo.  I was also very gitty with the idea of being a new wife.  I wanted to do everything right, really make grandma proud.  Though my cooking skills were pretty horrific to begin with, I made up for it in the baking department.  I always had cookies, pies, cupcakes, or some sweet treat cooling on my glass cake platter, and before long all my husband's battle buddies started noticing.  On the rare occasions where one would stop by and there wasn't a sweet treat on the counter or in the oven, they would ask, "Hey, where's the dessert?"  I loved it!  I was starting to fill the homemaker role I desired.  But I was missing something...my apron!  Every good housewife needs an apron!  And of course, mine just HAD to be patriotic.  Luckily, I had some digi camo material lying around my house (leftover from the Christmas stockings of course), and so I went to work.  I wasn't much of a seamstress yet, but I figured I'd give it a shot.   It looked terrible, but I wore it proudly for 4 years.  Luckily, over those last 4 years, I'd like to think my sewing skills have drastically improved...so I decided to use the last of my camo material (I still had some laying around), and give the apron another shot.  This time, it came out perfect and I've since retired the old apron.  Many of my friends have requested I make them their own camo apron...and I would, if only I could find more of that darn material.  But anyways, now you know the meaning to the blog name.  Yes, it obviously represents the apron itself, but it's also a metaphor, duh. Camo= Army, Apron=Wife.  So there ya go.  Here's the inspiration in photo form:


No comments:

Post a Comment