Saturday, March 19, 2011

It's a love/hate relationship

Despite my best efforts to hate Netflix , it's come through for me yet again.  If you know me at all, you know I'm not much of a TV watcher.  However, the few shows I do enjoy (like Dexter and House), I rarely get to enjoy because I have to play TV wars with a 3 year old and I usually lose. But hey, who wants to watch Dexter when The Imagination Movers are on right?  (Just making sure my sarcasm still works).  Anyways, thanks to Showtime On Demand and the hubby sending me the entire DVD collection to both Dexter and House, I can catch up on the previously mentioned shows.  However, there's been one show I've been shamefully dying to follow for a few years now... Army Wives.  I have seen a few episodes and rolled my eyes at a lot of it, but deep down inside, I secretly wanted to see more.  So I was pretty excited when I recently discovered Netflix had seasons 1-4 available for instant viewing.  I figure if I'm ever gonna catch up, it better be while the hubby is OCONUS.  Because once he's back in this house, the chick flicks become officially off limits.   So far I've caught up with seasons 1 and 2 and don't tell anyone, but I'm really starting to like the show.  It's not completely realistic in the sense that a General's Wife is not going to be found associating with a PFC's wife, and I've only had about 4 calls from an FRG member in my 5 years as a wife...despite their efforts to show these Family Rediness Groups as the women whom bring cakes and comfort wives and yadda yadda yadda....
But generally speaking the show is on point about a lot of things. While my husband is deployed and I'm living off post, I'm beginning to lose touch with the Army.  The show helps me to feel that connection again, or at least strive to get the connection back.  Owning a home off post has its perks, but at the same time, you lose that camaraderie that others maintain with one another during a deployment.  My neighbors are great, but they aren't army wives, they don't know what we go through.  Luckily, I have Roxy and Pamela for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment