Tuesday, October 11, 2011

THE BIG MOMENT!

AHH!! Finally! The moment we've all been waiting for! Well, maybe not you all, but I know I sure have.  I waited 12 long months and this past Friday finally, FINALLY the day had arrived!  I could not sleep a wink all night (obviously).  I was out of bed at the crack of dawn, despite the fact that his ceremony was not until 5 that evening.  The call arrived around 10:00 am letting me know my husband's flight had landed safely and the soldiers were processing and the ceremony would be on time.   I began decorating the yard and truck.  Next I made the bed, finished cleaning the house, gave the boy a bath, got myself prettied up, and 3 hours prior to the start of the ceremony, I headed to the hanger.  Yes, I was a bit eager!  Despite the fact I was 2 and a half hours early, I was not the first to arrive, so I didn't feel too silly.  I sat down in the very front of the bleachers and assumed the waiting position.  Soon after, my hubby called, "You might want to get there a little early" he says. HAHA.  I inform him that I'm already there and waiting in the front.  A couple hours pass and the announcement is made, the room goes silent and the doors slowly rise.  It was a breathtaking moment.  I nearly burst into tears, the feeling in that hangar at that moment was indescribable.  The stands roared with applause and screams.  It was one of the happiest moments of my life.  The soldiers marched in.  I looked around, there was at least 200.  He could be anywhere. I knew I'd never find him in that crowd.  I looked up and down the isles of soldiers.  Then suddenly, I feel eyes peering at me...eyes of a soldier standing directly in front of me.  Could it be? Could my man be RIGHT in front of me?  It looked like my husband, but skinnier.  Shamefully, I had to get out my lens and zoom in on his name tape. Sure enough, that skinny soldier in front of me belonged to me!  Seconds later they released the formation and this man took a few short steps forward.  We didn't move at first, we just starred and smiled.  Finally, I jumped up for my hug and it was the best hug ever!  Everything was so exciting at that point.  There were tears and laughter and hugs all around...and yet it was so quiet, because we were in our own little world, wrapped up in each other.  I couldn't sleep at all that night, I couldn't believe he was home...I just wanted to lay on his chest and take him in.  I hate that so many people take the little things like that for granted.  At the same time, I feel sorry for civilians.  A redeployment is a truly unique and amazing experience.  I got to fall in love with my husband again.





3 comments:

  1. YAY! I'm so happy for you that he's home safe and sound, and that your family is whole once again! Thanks for sharing a little piece of joy from that day (and enjoy soaking up your time together)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY!!!!
    Welcome Home to your hubs!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These pictures are great! I've been balling like a baby haha. Please tell him thank you for serving!

    ReplyDelete