Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Starting over...again

So as you know, last November we were in a car accident.  1 year exactly from the date I started my Insanity workout, I was left in a terrible condition with my back.  No longer capable of exercising, I put on 15 pounds, QUICKLY! All that hard work down the drain.  For the past month I've been determined to get myself back on track.  Without the ability to do cardio workouts, it's nearly impossible to lose weight.  Let's be honest, diets DON'T work.  I'll give you some reasons why...
1) You can't diet forever, rarely even long enough to see results (see #2)
2)  Diets are slow.  Diets don't burn calories like exercising does. It takes 3-4 times longer to lose pounds with dieting alone...thus, we don't see results quickly enough, get weak and give up.
3) I love food.  I have a deep appreciation for food & snacks.  I also love to bake. Sorry, but I just don't think eating Brussels sprouts is quite worth a size 4 waist line.
4) Diets don't build muscles.  They don't make you stronger, they make you tired, hungry, and weak.  When you exercise, you can feel those sore muscles.  Even if you don't see the results right away, you can feel them.  You know you've made a difference in your body.  It's motivation to keep going.  Diets are just a constant struggle. You might lose weight, but you won't tone up.

So what is a girl to do? I can't exercise, but I have no desire to diet.  I'm thinking some low impact workouts like swimming or the elliptical as well as some brisk speed walking.  I have set a goal of 15 lbs to lose by my birthday (June 14th).  That's about 2 lbs per week.  I know it's a big goal, but that's what I lost on average doing Insanity at about 45 mins per day.  I figure if I do a lower impact workout at about an hour and a half per day, that should make up the difference.  On July 7th, I have another 5k planned for the family...this time, I'd like to look good in those photos. 

For the past 6 months, I've been purely resentful of the car accident.  I've pitied myself, been angry, upset, and made a thousand excuses.  Last night (2 am this morning actually), I put my foot down and said, "ENOUGH".  I'm going to lose this weight again.  It's not fair to myself.  I should just be grateful that I walked away from that wreck.  Yes my back hurts, but at least I can feel my back.  So no more excuses, I'll jog slowly, I'll swim, I'll walk, I'll hit the elliptical...but I will NO LONGER MAKE EXCUSES. 

So let the fun begin...time to burn this fat off...again.

Pray for me, unless your not religious, then you can just wish me luck.

2 comments:

  1. Have you given any thought to Zumba, Yoga or Pilates? Zumba is a lot of fun and just moving around a lot gives you all the cardio you need - you never have to do anything too stringent and they always provide different levels or alternate workouts just in case you do have issues. And believe me, the weight melts off the more you do it and your muscles get a lot more defined!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Myra, I have thought about it. I was watching some YouTube videos on it and saw a lot of little old ladies (and even some old men) in these classes, so I assume my back could handle it. I cancelled my gym membership shortly after the wreck but may sign back up for the pool and elliptical use. If I do, I might look into jumping into a Zumba class.

    ReplyDelete